For 18 years I've been walking these streets with natural hair and dressing as modestly as I can. But you know people will always have a way of turning you against yourself. Society is so blinded by westernization that when a black girl like myself walks these streets with her afro it is considered ugly. I used to be called Afro Pop, Zahara etc back in primary school.(I didn't mind though')
People didn't see me for who I was, they thought I was trying to be someone else.(Spoiler alert; I was not trying to be someone else, I was being myself.)
You know, I have realised that people run away from their comfort zone because it won't be admired by majority of the population or it's not trending. Wake up and smell the coffee honey. You aren't living to your full potential. Are you seriously going to live your life trying to please the society?!
Well...Let me know how that goes, I'll be right here in my comfort zone doing my own thing.😪😉
Society has this mixed up misconception that when you are a black girl and you have natural hair, you feel as though you own Africa or whatever. But the truth is, I feel like I'm myself. I have accepted my natural state; natural hair, no make-up etc. When I went out I always had my cap on(still a habit) because I felt insecure wearing my hair in public. Because I'd walk by people and that would steer up whispers like;
"that's fake hair..."
"If you relaxed your hair it would be much prettier and longer."
"Do you want us to do your hair for you?"
Such things made me insecure. I mean what makes you think my hair is fake? The fact that a black girl can't walk in this era with natural hair as big as mine? But it's not fake when a white girl walks around with hair reaching her elbows?Mxm society is messed up fr.
What makes you think my hair isn't done? I did my hair! Just that I didn't do it to please you, I did it to please myself.
I honestly admire the amount of time people use in judging my life and monitoring my every flaw😓 where do you get that much time?
When I dress modestly with a dress or skirt up to my feet I felt like an old woman😭 because all my friends would obviously be wearing jeans and pencil skirts while I am there sweeping the floor with my 'curtain'😴
In my life, I came to a point where I only wore clothes up to my knees when going out.. And the rest when going to church or some event. People's unwanted opinions got to me, and I hated being the odd one out. (I eventually stopped, because I realised I'm not doing it for people or to blend in.)
Recently I went to my former school and I was wearing this other dress which stretches up to my ankles and I also had an afro puff...
I walked into one of the departments and without shame the teachers mocked me. They told me I looked like an old lady and there was not an ounce of youth in my dressing😭 (Lord, have mercy.) I was being attacked by people I was supposed to think were my parents.😭 I felt so hopeless and like the earth would open up and swallow me but then one teacher spoke up and said she liked how I was dressing. Upon her bold confession (thank you so much ma'am 😘) the rest got ashamed but went on and started picking out what I was wearing one by one. "No make up, long dress, afro 😌"
"Her agemates are going with trends like tinting their hair or plaiting whatever they want and they use make up."
I was so pissed. And I wasn't scared to show it. ( I hope they realised it.)
But now let me say this, my hair is my crown👑. I am going to have my hair natural til death and beyond. My dressing is a reflection of my character👗👏 I will continue to wear modestly and have no make up on either.
Bro Branham says the only woman who ever had make-up on, in the Bible was Jezebel👎 and God fed her to the dogs💔👀.
I am displaying a character of the elect lady 👏✨
I am a believer and I will continue to stay that way. 💪❤

6 comments

That's my girl!! 🙌🔥🇧🇼

REPLY

U go gal 👌👊 don't let them pull u down

REPLY

Thank you Bestie😭👏⚡

REPLY

Yes sister girl😊 Thanks

REPLY

Yasss🥰 i love this

REPLY

This I felt this in so many ways🥺, look at you now being a whole stunner👏🏽👏🏽🥰. So proud of how firm and strong you stood even when you were shaking❤️

REPLY

Rachel Mwale . 2021. Copyright. All rights reserved. Designed by |